NebraskaHerb
FIVE-TIME NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPS
"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game.
In the deed the glory."

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Marathon Update - Weeks 3 and 4

Still no luck on getting our blogs unblocked, so I'm stuck using the MWR again. Here are weeks 3 and 4 of my training for a marathon TBD at a later day.

Week 3 of 18, planned/actual:

Monday - off
Tuesday - 3 / 0
Wednesday - 5 / 0
Thursday - 3 / 5 @ 8:57
Friday - off / 5 @ 8:57
Saturday - 5 / 5 @ 8:57
Sunday - 6 / 6 @ 9:59

Total - 22 / 21

I had some scheduling conflicts early in the week so I ended up having to reshuffle things a bit. Nothing else remarkable, the decreased mileage was nice though.

Week 4 of 18, planned/actual:

Monday - off
Tuesday - 3 / 3 @ 8:57
Wednesday - 6 / 0
Thursday - 3 / 6 @ 9:44
Friday - off / 3.5 @ 8:45
Saturday - 6 / 6 @ 8:13
Sunday - 11 / 11 @ 9:22

Total - 29 / 29.5

The first big week turned out pretty well. I missed Wednesday due to a conflict (laziness) so I pushed the rest of the week back. The 11 miler was tough, partially because I ran 4 days in a row think. The good news is that on Friday I started running outside again. I even had some company, 1LT Shiley, the executive officer (XO) for HHT joined me Friday and Saturday, and SSG Johnson came out for the first lap on Sunday. It is great having someone to run with me as we can't wear headphones outside due to safety rules. The only "negative" (in quotes because I'm not sure it is bad) is that it is much easier to regulate your pace on the dreadmill. I am not supposed to be doing many runs above my target marathon pace (9:00), but it just seems too slow when I'm outside. I had planned on doing Sunday's long run at 10:00 but struggled to go that slow, if that makes any sense.

Plan for Week 5 of 18:

Monday - off
Tuesday - 3
Wednesday - 6
Thursday - 3
Friday - off
Saturday - 6
Sunday - 12

Total - 30

First 30 mile week, I'm nervous for the 12 miler due primarily to the boredom factor. I run a 4 mile loop so that means 3 laps of the same colorless scenery. Not fun. At all. If anyone has any leads on some flesh colored or clear ear buds that I could buy so I could take some tunes with me let me know. I scoured the internet to no avail. I of course would only wear one of them so I could still hear and be safe at the same time.

1 comment:

Adrianne said...

I cannot even imagine running 12 miles without music. They really do instill mental discipline don't they!

Anyway, not sure what the budget is or how discreet these would be, but here are some clear (and high-end) earphones for you :)

http://www.ultimateears.com/superfi/superfi-3-studio_clear.htm

These marathon updates are very inspiring - keep 'em coming!

-Ade