NebraskaHerb
FIVE-TIME NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPS
"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game.
In the deed the glory."

Thursday, January 18, 2007

KOLN, Getting Extended

SGT Benes had his story posted on the KOLN website. You can find it here. I am next in line, I taped my interview on Tuesday, and it will air this Sunday, Jan 21st, at 10:00 PM CST on channel 10/11 in Lincoln and other places out west. It will also be posted to the website in about a week, if you click on the link for Beans you will see the other stories linked at the bottom. It was a lot of fun doing it. They also left the satellite feed up when the interview was done, and I got to talk to Erika and Benjamin for almost 2o minutes afterwords. They could see me but I couldn't see them. Benjamin was all over the studio getting into stuff. Erika said the folks in the studio were good sports about it and let him have fun. I was nervous at first but when I heard Brandee's voice on the other side of the satellite that helped put me at ease.

Our extension is official now. Lots of stories on the internet. This one is an op-ed piece in the Des Moines Register. Here are excerpts from a briefing the Brigade Commander, COL Elicerio, did via VTC back in the states. He has a great quote at the end, he said that we'll take care of the troops over here, and you take care of the families back home.

That is the hardest thing for most of us. We are all disappointed that we aren't getting home on time, but there isn't really much we can do about it. So, we'll suck it up an drive on like always. It is our families at home that we all worry about. Most were doing their best just to make it until March, now we are asking them to hold on to July. So, that is weighing heavily on me that Erika and Ben have to go it alone for another 6 months. They have it much harder then we do without a doubt.

Here is the official news release from the Red Bulls, and the news release from the Nebraska Guard. You can do a Google News Search for National Guard Tour Extended and gets lots more if you are an internet kind of mood. We are getting over the initial shock and getting back to work. Right now, the best we can do is hope (which is not a method) that they will get another Brigade spun up quickly and over here to replace us soon. Alternatively, one of the other battalion paralegals thinks that we are going to have a big MWR event in March and Ashton Kutcher is going to jump out of a cake and say that we just got punk'd. I for one would be okay with that!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sack - I'll be watching for your story! I'm so glad you were able to do that and I can imagine how great it must have been for your family to be in involved by the folks at 10/11!

A big HOOAH goes out to them.

Take care,

Ma Beans

liberal army wife said...

ashton??? aw c'mon... for you guys.... Carmen Electra, for the females.... hm... Brad Pitt??? It's getting better, we are getting back into our groove.

You a paralegal? I'm a civilian one...

You take care, keep your helmet on and your ass down.

Anonymous said...

Great interview Sack!!!

Take care,

Ma Beans

Living Dees Life said...

You are most very welcome!

Sack said...

Ma Beans,
I agree, a big HOOAH for 10/11 for going above and beyond the call of duty. It means a lot to us over here to know that our families get to see some good news. And talking to Erika and Benjamin is always a good thing.

LAW,
I don't think too many Hollywood stars want to come over here. David Beckham does live in LA now you know.

Yes, I'm the legal guy over here. It is an interesting job and I don't think I would trade anyone in this unit, except maybe for SFC Anderson who is in charge of the rear detachment back in Lincoln!

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you Steve...You're so well spoken I wish they could have extended the package beyond it's 2 minutes. I can definitely tell you're keeping fit and avoiding any Girl Scout cookies that may come your way. I also caught a glimpse of Brad in your story...so glad to see his cameo...a pleasant surprise. And I gave David a hard time for several hours about calling Benjamin a daughter. He says he's really sorry. He knew he was a boy...he even talked to him....There was apparently a cut and paste problem??? Oh yeah, and something about trying to keep him tough. :)

Keep it up!
...Brandee