NebraskaHerb
FIVE-TIME NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPS
"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game.
In the deed the glory."

Friday, December 29, 2006

26.2

When I first found at I was getting deployed, my only desired outcomes were not dying and coming home with the same number of parts that I left with. The early rumor is that we would be doing full spectrum ops in the middle of Baghdad, and of course I assumed that meant I would be the guy kicking down doors and shooting people in the face. Luckily (for me anyway, the trigger pullers would probably rather be kicking down doors and shooting people in the face) the rumor was widely inaccurate like most rumors in the Army. Other than dodging a few mortars here and there, things here are pretty routine and although I'm in the office around 70 hours a week, that still leaves me plenty of free time. The only problem is that other than the occasional movie and going to the gym, there isn't much to do to fill up that free time.

One thing I've been doing to eat up some of that free time is quite a bit of running. Now, I don't really enjoy the actual act of running, but I do like the feeling I get after a good run and of course it is a big weapon in my war against the damage I did to my body in college. And after college. Actually pretty much my entire life up until this year. One thing I've always talked about doing is running either a half or full marathon. I usually like the excuse of too busy/not enough time, which you can read as too lazy if you so desire. Unfortunately, that isn't really the case here, so in the absence of a good excuse not too, I am hereby announcing my intention to run the Lincoln Marathon on May 6th, 2007. Please hold your applause until the end. Thank you.

For those of you that don't know, the marathon is 26.2 miles aka a really long way. You may be asking yourself why 26.2 miles? Well, it takes back to the Greeks, or the Romans, or some other now defunct civilization, where some dude (Marthones?) ran an important message to his general/king/master and then died. Guess how far he ran? You got it! Okay, I was just going to leave this paragraph as is, but did a little bit of research and found out that most of what I just wrote is wrong. If you want to, you can check out Wikipedia for more information. Go ahead, I'll wait. Or skip it, whatever, it isn't like you paid to read this or I got paid to write it.

The only real negative is that I haven't really built as good of a base as I need, the experts (read the people on the coolrunning message board that seem pretty smart) suggest 30-40 miles per week for 6-12 months before attempting to train for a marathon. I've done between 20-25 the last 6 months or so, which isn't quite as much as I would like. I put my odds at about 50/50 to make it through the training plan without tearing my ACL, 25% to finish without considerable walking, and 10% to meet my goal time. I am shooting for sub 4 hours(9:09 miles) which is somewhat aggressive but doable. Honestly I should say I have no idea if it is reasonable as my long run is 10 miles right now and I have do that 2.5 times at once.

My plan is to do an update on here weekly, primarily to keep myself motivated over the next 18 weeks. I will be less likely to skip my run and play Madden '07 if I know that someone is checking up on me. I'll be following the Hal Higdon intermediate plan, as I thought the beginner plan looked a little too easy in the beginning. If circumstances dictate, I may drop down to the novice plan about half way through.

Those of that you live in the Omaha/Lincoln area will be expected to be present at the finish line and/or random points of my choosing on the course. In case I pass out and die or something like that. I don't want a stranger giving me CPR. Gross. If I make the effort to run for half a day the least you can do is come out and cheer me on. And would it kill you to make a sign with my name and/or a flattering picture of me on it? I didn't think so.

I've also recruited a few friends. Ol' Buddy B is considering making the trip from the Big Apple for his first marathon and JAg has committed to at least doing his 2nd half marathon and maybe his first full if he can make the time. If there are any other aspiring marathoners out there leave a comment and we'll add you to Team Sack. Well, that is all I have to say about that. Training starts Monday! Actually Tuesday because Monday is a day off but you knew what I was talking about. Check back here on Mondays for updates on my plans/goals/hopes/dreams.

15 comments:

Sang J. Moon said...

Do you know if the US military is planning to or unable to shore up the Iraqi hospitals especially in Baghdad? Professionals, especially doctors and medical staff are leaving Iraq to the point where untrained people are taking their place, if available, and even basic medical supplies are almost gone. Not only does this affect the injured from the violence, but with the Iraqi baby boom in progress, there are almost no female OB/GYN (for cultural reasons) available to service them. The following website, although thoroughly liberal and anti-American, describes the problem:

http://zennobia.blogspot.com/

"This is something that needs urgent reaction to stop the damage done and to let it be known to the people of the world, DEMOCRATIC WORLD ESPECIALLY! My niece telephoned me from Baghdad this afternoon telling me that she, and other women and young girls have volunteered as nurses in Numan hospital in Aadhamia to take care of people wounded as a result of mortar bombs raining on the city since the sentencing of Saddam Hussein. She said that the hospital has been deserted by most of the medical personnel and lacks all the necessary medicines for such an emergency-simply not being supplied. Also there is no water and electricity in Aadhamiya. They have started a campaign to collect contributions to buy the necessary dressing stuff and other articles."

Anonymous said...

Ben and I will be there at the finish line. Now we can actually get some use out of the jogger stroller you HAD TO HAVE! (and never used)
Erika

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago I set the goal to run the Montreal Marathon. I trained for it hard, and fully expected to finish in the top half.

Then it happened. I had a cyst cut off the nerve root at by C4-C5. After a comedy of medical tests they decided I had something I really didn't have. When they cut open my spine the discovered what it really was.

"Was it the running Doc?" I asked. "I expect so," he said.

I tell you this story simply to remind you in the GRAND scheme going for it matters. Doing it is simply gravy!

Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

....and you have doubts about your son inheriting any athletic abilities???? I'll be at the finish line too to help Rik with Benjamin and keep an eye on that jogging stroller that you HAD TO HAVE! Forget the digital, I'm breaking out my 35mm for this occasion. I'm sure you will be able to continue to train in PV also?

Anonymous said...

Wish I could be there sacker, I will be cheering you on from Fort Sam Houston.

J

Sack said...

Sang,
Sorry buddy, no idea on this one. We treat alot of local wounded here at our hospital, but I don't know what other options they have.

Babe,
I have never used it because first Mr. Mister was too little to be out, and then it was too cold, and then I went to Iraq. I do use my GPS that I had to have though!

NOTR,
Thanks for the story. I will do my best to stay healthy.

Ang,
I will be on taper mode in PV, so I wont' have to do too much, maybe a few miles here and there. Or maybe just a few days off of rest. You take great pictures so that will be cool!

Lil Sack,
You can run one with me next year.

Brian said...

Sack,
I'm in and on schedule!
Going to be tough.
Barring injury, I'll see you in Lincoln!

Buddy B

Sack said...

Yeah, this deal is no joke. The time committment on getting your miles in is pretty crazy. I have a feeling that you will stay healthy and we'll crush the course together.

Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Nice site! Good resources here. I will bookmark!

Anonymous said...

I see first time your site guys. I like you :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

Anonymous said...

quantum mind power -
quit smoking today -
recipe secrets -
reg clean -
regi cleanse -
registry easy -
registry winner -
reg sweep -
reverse mobile -
reverse phone detective -
revolutioniz -
richard markenzie direct -
sale hoo -
simple php -
smtp 2 go -
spyware nuker -
surveys 4 checks -
tax liens made easy -
the bad breath report -
thedietsolutionprogram -
the diet solution program -
the handcrafters companion -
the retired millionaire -
the super mind evolution system -
truth about abs -
truth about diets -
turbulence training -
ultimate content creator -
video piggy -
vincedelmontefitness -
vince del monte fitness -
viral tweets -
warp speed fat loss -

Anonymous said...

webstigate -
win clear -
win spy -
worlds best compost -
xp repair pro -
yeast infection no more -
your approved -
500 love making tips -
acid alkaline diet -
advanced defrag -
amazing resume creator -
anti spyware -
art of approaching -
av advance -
banish tonsil stones -
bookmarking demon -
burnthefat -
burn the fat -
carb rotation diet -
catch spouse cheating -
cb affiliate blueprints -
combat the fat -
conversationalhypnosis -
conversational hypnosis -
cure angular cheilitis -
directory of ezines -
dirty talking guide -
dish tv for pc -
dog training online -
domain sales machine -
driver robot -
earth4energy -
earth 4 energy -
easy tech videos -