Submitted for your review is this Thanksgiving tribute that the good Captain sent me last week. Check it out while you are enjoying your long weekend of turkey, football, and family this weekend.
As with most other holidays, it will be business as usual here with one exception. The DFAC I'm sure will have something special planned for us. I don't suspect that we'll get a Butterball (umm, ConAgra, do you really think it is necessary to make me choose between English and Spanish before I access the Butterball web site? I sure don't). I'm sure they will do their best with what they have, and I'm hoping for some pumpkin pie. And some pecan too, it is Thanksgiving after all. Maybe even some ice cream as well. Might as well get crazy.
One of the Weber traditions on Thanksgiving is that everyone says something they are thankful for before eating dinner. I've always thought this was a good way to make sure that the purpose of the holiday is not lost amid the eating, drinking, and being merry. Since I won't be present this year, I thought I would share my list ahead of time.
I'm thankful this Thanksgiving for:
- Having the most supportive wife in the world during this deployment, thanks babe, I couldn't do this without you
- Being blessed with a happy and healthy son
- The support of my family, friends and co-workers back home, your letters, emails and packages always but a smile on my face
- A relatively safe job here on a base that has the most amenities of any in theater
- Working in a great section with great guys, and at a desk with a/c
- Internet, email, and phone access to stay in touch with everyone back home
- Cool weather here, I don't miss the days of 115+
- My employers generous support while I'm gone
- Our weekly bible study
- All of the people at home that our praying for me, my family, and my unit
- The opportunity to grow in my faith while I'm away from home
- Being able to serve in the finest armed forces in the world, for the greatest country on earth, on a mission that is bringing freedom to people that haven't ever tasted it
I had a few more but they are escaping me right now, so I may do some updating this week if they come to me. You enjoy your time off and hit the Black Friday sales for me.